Thursday, September 3, 2009
Thursday, August 27, 2009
As a few final words on our experience as Peace Corps volunteers, we would like to give a big thank you to everyone who has helped us through this crazy adventure...our people in Capuri, the Peace Corps Panama staff, our fearless regional leader Heather Murphy and all our awesome volunteer friends. We also want to thank our families and friends back here in the
Finally, we would like to wish a lot of luck, patience and love to all of those adventurers who are still out there in the
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
We officially COSed (Close of Service) the 9th of July. As a final
Before the despidia we went from house to house to say goodbye to our friends. As for the latrine project we finished construction of three of them and had the other three started (mostly done). (FYI...we have recieved calls from all the particpants in the latrine project since arriving home and all latrines have been finished and are now being used!!)
Thursday, July 16, 2009
First, we would like to thank everyone who donated to our composting latrine project! Second, we would like to thank all of the Peace Corps volunteers who came to help with the project.
For each latrine, we dug a small foundation and poured a concrete floor that was approximately 50 x 80 x 2 inches. In the photo above with Pete you can see the dugout foundation.
Initially, there was some apprehension among the residents building the latrines as how to work with cement. But as you can see from the above and below photos we quickly figured it out.
After the brick was laid we built tables in each of the latrines to hold up the final slab of concrete. Once the final slab is dry you can remove the tables and connect the PVC tubing to the concrete seats.
As you can see in the photo the composting latrine has two chambers. One side is used until it is full, then it is covered. The family then switches to the other side, and when that side is full, the first side is ready to be removed and disposed of, (or used as fertilizer).
Part of the grant required us to supply some of the wood for the construction of the latrine houses. So we paid a guy to cut down two large Espave trees to make the required 2x4s . In this photo we are cutting the pieces to interlock together.
With this style of composting latrine, we used a special seat mold in which the hole is divided into two parts. One part in the back for excrement and the front part is for urine which can either be collected outside of the latrine and used as fertilizer or it can be piped away from the latrine.
The actual wood structure of the latrine is pretty easy to setup, the difficult part is to get the zinc on top of the roof, as the structure is about 10 feet tall.
Overall, the latrine project was a big success! Buy the last latrine, we were non-official masons, and best of all, we were able to see a big increase in the self esteem in the people who worked with us on the project. Thanks again to everyone who donated.